I initially became interested in food after leaving school, and undertook a three year Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering. The years that followed took me all over Europe cooking for chalet holiday skiing groups.
Fifteen years later, following a successful career in the travel industry, I decided to combine my love for food with a growing interest in its healing properties and retrain as a nutritional therapist. Commencing my training in Sydney, I then returned to the UK and completed a three-year Diploma in Nutritional Therapy with the College of Naturopathic Medicine, London.
This left me hungry for delving far deeper into the biochemistry of nutrition, and so I took my studies further to train with the innovative Institute of Functional Medicine (IFM), whose approach to health truly resonated with me.
Additional postgraduate training
I have taken undergraduate and postgraduate training to provide me with increased expertise in functional digestive conditions, hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's. I completed The Hashimoto’s Institute 12 week training program for clinicians to advance my ability to work with clients with autoimmune hypothyroidism. I also completed my Institute of Functional Medicine certification in April 2016, and as such became one of only 15 fully-certified practitioners in the UK.
My quest for knowledge has allowed me to partake in specialist training with some of the most respected functional medical doctors and specialists in their fields. I’ve completed training with leading coeliac and gluten sensitivity specialists including Dr. Tom O'Bryan, and programmes with renowned autoimmunity and thyroid specialists Dr. Datis Kharrazian and Dr. Izabella Wentz, including Dr. Izabella Wentz’s 12 week certification program through her Hashimoto’s Institute. I travel to the United States at least twice each year to attend postgraduate training to further my knowledge and best help my clients.
I have a Diploma in Nutritional Therapy from the College of Naturopathic Medicine in London and am one of only 15 fully Certified IFM Practitioners in the UK to hold an Institute for Functional Medicine certification. The Functional Medicine (FM) model is one that truly resonates with me and as such forms the bedrock of my practice.
In addition to my one-to-one work in clinical practice, I am also an on-site Nutritionist with renowned specialist luxury retreat companies and Harley Street clinics. Most recently I have co-written the revolutionary book The Clever Guts Diet with the world's gut health guru Michael Mosley.
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Fully Certified IFM Practitioner - Institute of Functional Medicine, April 2017
- Certified Nutritional Therapist - College Naturopathic Medicine, August 2010
- Certified as one first 100 practitioners with The Hashimoto’s Institute 12 week Training Program for clinicians looking to advance their ability to work with patients and clients with autoimmune hypothyroidism, taught by three of the top leaders in the field - April 2016
Medical Seminars and Conferences Attended
I keep updated on the research in my fields by attending numerous medical seminars and conferences, specifically in mitochondrial, autoimmunity and gastrointestinal health.
- FirstLine Therapy® Certification for Cardio-Metabolic Syndrome
- Dr. Natasha Campbell McBride’s practitioner GAPS© graduate training
- AFMCP – Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice™. The Institute for Functional Medicine teaches healthcare professionals how to apply their principles in practice through an intensive five-day training course called Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice™. I attended and completed the inaugural AFMCP™-UK training in London in 2011.
- Functional Medicine APM - Immune Dysregulation and Chronic Inflammation: Chronic Infections, Atopy and Autoimmunity
- Functional Medicine APM - Gastrointestinal Health
- Functional Medicine APM – Energy & Mitochondrial Health
- Functional Medicine APM - Detox
- Functional Medicine APM - Cardiometabolic
- Functional Medicine APM - Hormones
- International Conference on Human Nutrition & Functional Medicine
- Foundations of Functional Blood Chemistry
- Dr. Sarah Myhill – Mitochondrial Dysfunction & Chronic Fatigue
- Dr. Tom O'Bryan – Certified Gluten Practitioner
- Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Mastering The Thyroid for Clinicians
- Dr. Datis Kharrazian – Advanced Functional Blood Chemistry for Clinicians
- Allison Siebecker – SIBO conference, Portland
- IFM 2017 Annual International Conference
- Dr. Datis Kharrazian - Functional Endocrinology